chlorophyll tests

extracting chlorophyll was incredibly difficult. The first round I used:

– dill leaves (leftover and free from whole foods)
– one jar full of grain alcohol; one jar of standard canola oil

I got a very muddy red colour, because the cellouse/cell walls broke down due to the blending and the red extracted was not bright because dill did not have enough chlorophyll

2nd round:
– frozen spinach
– one jar grain alcohol; one jar standard canola oil

Produced a murky brown colour for the alcohol mix, and the water sunk below the oil which caused problems in trying to seperate them (I just used sediment/filtration method, not accurate enough)

3rd round I consulted photographers specialising in UV photography, and the method was to dry spinach in a warm oven (180F) with the door half-open:

3rd  round:
– fresh spinach dried to crisp in 180F
– one jar grain alcohol; one jar standard canola oil

Problem was the chlorophyll was extracted too slowly, it took several days before the colour would show (when it did, it was bright red). My solution was to grind the dried spinach into powder to make it easier for the solvent to dissolve

4th round:
– fresh spinach dried to crisp; then grinded down using a pestle/mortar
– one jar grain alcohol; one jar standard canola oil

Finally chlorophyll extracted. Very difficult to do it via alcohol though, might try with acetone but acetone has mild flourescence as well, which might change the results and also render it inedible. The oil is a good base, but it meant that I couldn’t cook it directly into the agar as intended and I had to pour it over instead

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s